Sunday, February 26, 2012

A 28-Mile Snowmobile Ride

I've always been a fan of snow and the outdoor activities that accompany the snow.  So when Alicia invited us to go on a snowmobiling adventure, I quickly accepted!  We got suited up in snow gear including helmets (which Bentley didn't love) and headed for the hills.  There were only a few problems with the adventure.  The first being that we woke up to a crazy snowstorm/blizzard.  The second being the part where Alicia didn't inform me that the ride was 28 miles in, eat at the Box Y Lodge,  and then the same 28 miles back out.  Which turned out to be an incredibly long and uncomfortable ride for a 2 year old who hated his helmet.  I'm a pretty slow rider, because I don't have much experience in driving snowmobiles. 

For a good majority of the ride, I was behind the group by 5-10 minutes.  Usually, I would find someone stopped on the trail to make sure that I was still coming.  So it was no surprise around mile 13 when all the sleds were pulled off to the sides of the road.  I thought they were just waiting for me again....Then, I see Trav's little girl sleeping in the snowbank. 
 Then I notice that there is a larger problem.  Alicia's daughter, who was riding with Trav's daughter, is not on her snowmobile.  Alicia is asking her if anything is hurt, and she seems to be pretty concerned about the snowmobile.  It all makes sense when I see the boys off the road, trying to start a snowmobile that no longer has a windshield.  Montana had gone off the groomed trail, fallen off, and the snowmobile drove between two trees.  Scary start to ride 13 more miles in, before we start heading back out.
However, the rest of the ride was enjoyable.  We enjoyed a great meal at the Box Y Lodge and let the kids run around helmet free for a while.  Then it was back on the sleds.  While the boys stopped frequently to test out the powder, I just drove slow and steady.  Blowing snow and whiteout conditions made for a turtle's speed, but we surely enjoyed ourselves!  Alicia and Trav thanks for the invite, it was a blast!

No comments: